Sunday 24 October 2010

Off to work we (don't) go.

Hello everyone from now very sunny Brisbane.
Well, over the course of the last week or so I have managed to achieve a number of ridiculous things. I have got a tan, taught precisely nothing, won another pub quiz and been a head chef.
Things on the teaching front are looking ever more bleak, I have still only had the two days of supply work and there seems to be very little on the horizon. I have been told by my recruitment agency, who seem remarkably unhelpful,that Aussie schools seem to be shying away from employing English teachers as their knowledge of Australian subjects is not up to scratch- slightly insulting and from those people I have talked to, false. The tendency, particulary with term long cover or maternity leave is to employ one of the thousands of semi retired teachers who have moved to Queensland for the year round sun, leaving very little opportunities for younger teachers and migrant teachers in the area. This is very disappointing, although I have two applications in for jobs whihc I would deem good things, so here's hoping!

As teaching has been a sparse working field, we have had to move out of that zone into the wonderful world of catering. I have now officially catered for thousands of rev heads at the gold coast v8 supercars event. Upon application and signing up we were told we'd be manning the ice cream stalls-great times in the hot weather, steal a few maxibon, a delight I thought. Upon getting to the event (after been turned away on our 'first' day due to an almighty cock up), I was sent by myself to a burger van directly next to the main straight. I was then shouted out immediately for not realising that I should be cooking in excess of 400 burgers, chicken and bacon pieces. That was it, I was Gordon Ramsey, the 52 degree heat and 2 foot by 2 foot hot plate were mine, I was king of the kitchen.
It was horrendous.
Worst/Longest/Smelliest/Most hilariously ridiculous day ever!
To be fair, they did pay me, my friends did steal an inordinate amount of money from an ice cream van and I got to watch the races for at least half an hour and topped up the tan in the process but blimey, catering is not my calling. Made me appreciate how much better coping with 35 year 9s on a tuesday afternoon I am though!
This is just a short post as I wanted to recall our lovely day without time diminishing it glorious nature and hopefully, very hopefully, one of us may have a job by the end of the week, but then again, that does seem like a silly notion!
Hope everyone is well and for the love of God, if anyone knows anyone who could sort me out with a job, teaching or otherwise, in or around Brisbane would be my saviour!

7 comments:

  1. Will see what I can do via Twitter job wise...
    Maxibon... mmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Will
    Thanks to Rob Marchetto for this tip-off
    Brisbane Grammar School
    http://www.brisbanegrammar.com/images/stories/AboutGra/employment/teacher%20of%20geography_october%202010.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep plugging away mate. You just need to get a foot in the door somewhere as I am sure people will spot Plymouth PGCE quality when they see it :). Still very jealous even if you are working in a burger van and not in a school.
    By the way did you ever see Summer Heights High. If not check it out, I have visions of you as the drama teacher in that in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's more advice for you Will from the GA's next President but one: Bob Digby's contact.


    In terms of teaching appointments in Brisbane, there is the private or the state system. The state system appoints teachers to schools across the state. What your friend could do is send a letter to certain districts in Melbourne and they can let districts know... this can work but I am not sure of the requirements of getting teaching recognition through the state system if you have taught overseas. The following jobs - SmartJobs - may help in finding government jobs in education - http://www.jobs.qld.gov.au/

    Information on how to apply to the State system is found at -http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recruitment/teaching/app-process.html

    The other option is private - they generally advertise in the paper. Go on Career One - http://home.careerone.com.au/ or Seek -http://www.seek.com.au/ as ads will be here. These will provide the detail on how to apply. There are also teaching recruitment groups - such as Smart Teachers -http://www.smartteachers.co.uk/vacancy.aspx help teachers find jobs. I have never used them before.

    Hope that's helpful...
    Remember, I'll only take a 2% cut when you finally get a job ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks to everyone for the help, it really is appreciated, found and applied for a few more now and have the next two weeks as contracted supply as a year 6/7 primary teacher (which I will DEFINATELY blog about at the weekend as it is crazy!) and a week of Art supply in a very pleasant city state school!Things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was Vick doing the catering stuff as well? I thought she had a job to do? Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  7. She did mate, but its fallen through, so shes had to get another one on the gold coast, just waiting for it to start, so did the burrger job as well.what a joy.

    ReplyDelete